The Nigeria Rugby Football Federation has announced a 23 man list for a two weeks intensive camping exercise ahead of the pre-qualifiers for the 2019 Rugby World cup. The camp which opens on June 27 at the Main Bowl of the National Stadium, Lagos will be under the supervision of South African born coach, Fabian Juries.
Technical Director and Vice President of Nigeria Rugby, Olatunji Fasimoye who made the list public on Sunday said only two foreign based players, Christian Ogar and Okafor ThankGod both plying their trades in South Africa were invited to join their home based colleagues exercise. The invitees are expected to report to camp on Monday.
“Because of the standard of our league, we have been able to build our players to a level where we believe that if we nurture them well they can compete favorably anywhere in the world. We expect that all the players that we have called to camp will resume to the national stadium by 4pm today (Monday),” Fasimoye said.
He thanked CMB Building, Investment and Maintenance Company for making the camping exercise possible and also for their unflinching support for the Sir Edward Fom Pam led NRFF as he called on other corporate bodies to partner with the federation in sponsoring the National teams for their international engagements.
The team is expected to depart for Morocco on July 11 to take on Mauritius on July 13 before engaging the host country, Morocco, on the Juky 16. All games are to be played at the COC stadium.
“I think it’s a great deal for us because we are going to be playing a phase in the 2019 World Cup qualifiers. Morocco being the host nation won’t be an easy task and that is why we are trying to prepare our boys in our own little way. Most of the Moroccan players play in France and they are well funded, hence the need for the Black Stallions to have a two week camp,” Fasimoye explained, adding that despite all the challenges being faced by the federation, they believe that “everything is going to be fine.”
Meanwhile, Team Doctor of Nigeria Rugby, Bukola Bojuwoye, has said he is monitoring the condition of team captain, Azeez Ladipo, ahead of the tournament following injury he suffered at the finals of the South West league.
Full List of invited players:
1. Peter Okere Ambrose – Scrum half – North
2. Omoragieva Monday Henry – Scrum/ Fly half – North
3. Ladipo Azeez Olaitan – Fly half/ Full back – Lagos
4. Oche Alfred Sunday – Fly half/ Full back – North
5. Oladele John Siminuoluwa – Center – Lagos
6. Okafor Sopuruchi ThankGod – Wing/ Center -,South Africa.
7. Ogar Christian Innocent – Wing/ Center – South Africa
8. Jatto Onoru-Oyiza Jude – Wing/ Center – Lagos
9. Afam Ifeanyi Moses -,Wing – Lagos
10. Iheme Felix Chidera – Full Back – North
11. Olawale Oladipo – Scrum half – Lagos
12. Ekpo Ekubi Samuel – Flank/Wing – Lagos
13. Samaila Agwan – Flank/Wing – North
14. Aleto Obinna Festus – Prop – Lagos
15. George Anedi – Prop – Lagos
16. Akeju Francis Sunday – Prop/Hooker -,North
17. Oduola Sodiq Kofoworola – Hooker – Lagos
18. Isa Hasan – Hooker – North
19. Sani Isaac Cato – Lock – Lagos
20. Kura John Terseer – Lock – Lagos
21. Wilson Obi Izuchukwu – Lock – North
22. Yannick Ufoma Mukoro -,Eight – Lagos
23. Ayinla Hafis Ademola -,Flank/Eight – Lagos