The hour of decision has come for local government representatives in the Zenith Delta Principals Cup as the final group games of the zonal elimination kick off this afternoon.
While a number of teams have secured their berth for the quarter finals following winning streaks in the first two games, many are condemned to win in today’s final group matches or they return home with heads bowed.
Obule Integrated Schools, Sapele, has assured their place after the 7-0 thumping of Kokodiagbene Sec School on the opening day and a 1-0 victory over Abraka Grammar School on day two to to lead Group C with maximum points. Abraka will take on Kokodiagbene today only for pride as Obule has taken the stakes.
The battle of the saints, featuring St Paul’s Secondary School, Ozoro and St Michaels College Oleh ended in the Isoko brothers sharing points at 1-1 on Wednesday. St Paul’s now has four points having defeated Alidima Secondary School, Agbor 3-2 in their first game to take lead. St Michaels is condemned to victory against Alidima and with superior goals margin if they are to turn the table and return to Oleh with a quarter final ticket. Should they settle for a draw or lose the day, it will be happy go lucky for St Paul’s.
The real battle today will be between Essi College, Warri, and Marvel International School, Ughelli, at the Otor Udu Primary School ground. They both come into the contest with three points apiece having taken turns on the whipping boys of Group F, Gbesa Government School, Burutu. Essi drubbed them 7-0 on day one while Marvel pipped them 1-0 on day two. For Essi and Marvel, the die is cast.
The setting is the same for Boys Secondary School, Obiaruku and Owa Secondary School, Owa Oyibu. While Obiaruku has the advantage of three points with their 2-1 defeat of Pilgrims Baptist Grammar School, Issele Uku, on opening day, Owa has one point with their nil-nil draw against Pilgrims. With no progress for the Pilgrims, the ticket is open for the two teams. Owa must win to steal the day from Obiaruku for whom a draw will see through.
Ogume Grammar School seem to be running away with the Group E ticket after opening full salvo to defeat Ovwian Secondary School 3-0 on Tuesday and raising the tally to 4-0 against Ibru College on Wednesday. The Ndokwa West boys, with six points in the kitty are expected to finish the job against their Eastern brothers, Igbuku Secondary School today. Should they falter, they would present a possible rematch against either of Ibru College and Ovwian Secondary both of which took their 3 points from Igbuku, Ibru with 4-1 on day one and Ovwian with 3-0 on day two. Ibru and Ovwian face each other today but the winner will only remain in contention if Ogume loses to Igbuku to give any chance. Football they say is not mathematics, but this seems very unlikely.
See Day 3 Fixtures:
* Faith Academy, Ugbolu, Oshimili North vs Osadenis High School, Asaba, Oshimii South – Ogbemudein Sec Sch, Agbor
* St Michaels College, Oleh, Isoko South vs Alidima Secondary School Agbor Alidima, Ika South – Utagba Ogbe Gram Sch, Kwale
* Abraka Grammar Schoo, Abraka, East vs Kokodiagbene Secondary School Kokodiagbene, Warri South West – Army Barracks Effurun
* Owa Secondary School Owa Oyibu, North East vs Boys Secondary School Obiaruku, Ukwani – SPC Asaba
* Ovwian Grammar School Ovwian, Udu LG vs Ibru College, Agbarho, Ughelli North II – Irri Gram Sch
* Ogume Grammar School, Ogume, Ndokwa West vs Igbuku Grammar School, Igbuku, Ndokwa East – Oleh Township Stadium
* Marvel International School Ughelli, Ughelli North 1 vs Essi College 2, Warri, Warri South – Otor Udu
* Esenabe College, Bomadi vs Otokutu Grammar School, Otokutu, Ughelli South – Otor Ogor
* Onyenke Secondary School a Onyenke, Okpe LG vs Odorubu Secondary School Odirubu, Patani – Govt Coll
* Ogbomro Secondary School, Uvwie vs Iwere College, Koko, Warri North – Obule Sapele